International Standards are the backbone of our society and they also help to ensure the safety and the quality of the products and services, and thereby facilitate international trade and also improve the environment in which we live in.
However, conformity to the International Standards helps to reassure the consumers that the products, systems and the organizations are safe, reliable and are good for the environment. The article will give us a detailed view as to how international standardization is advantageous.
Numerous studies have shown that these standards boost business and economies. In the UK, for example, the standards account for an $8.2bn annual growth in its GDP, while in Canada, the use of such standards has injected over $91bn into the economy since 1981.
Benefits of ISO Standardisation for business
International Standards are the strategic tools and the guidelines that are required in order to help the companies to tackle some of the most demanding challenges of modern business. They help to ensure that the business operations are as efficient as possible, and they also help to increase the productivity and to access new markets.
ISO standards, however, help the businesses to:
- Cut costs, that happens through improved systems and processes
- Helps to Increase the customer satisfaction, through its improved safety, quality, and processes
- It also helps to Access new markets, by ensuring the compatibility of the products and services
- It also helps to reduce their impact on the environment. ISO 9001, for example, has helped to improve the sales, customer satisfaction, corporate image and the market share and ISO 14001 has been shown to have a positive impact on the environmental performance. Businesses however also benefit from taking part in the standard development process.
When the products and services conform to the International Standards, consumers can thus have confidence that they are safe, reliable and are of good quality. For example, ISO’s standards on road safety, toy safety and in order to secure medical packaging are just a selection of those that help to make the world a safer place.
In order to make sure that the benefits of ISO International Standards are as broad as possible, ISO supports the involvement of consumers in the standard development work with its Committee which is based on the consumer policy (COPOLCO).
International Standards which have been made on air, water and soil quality, on the emissions of gasses and radiation and the environmental aspects of the products contribute to the efforts in order to preserve the environment and the health of its citizens.
ISO standards help to draw on an international expertise and experience. Therefore are considered as a vital resource for the governments when they are developing their public policy.
National governments can use the ISO standards in order to support the public policy, which has a number of benefits, including:
- Helps in Getting an expert opinion– By integrating an ISO standard into a national regulation, the governments can thus benefit from the opinion of the experts without having to call on their services directly.
- It helps in Opening up world trade– ISO international standards are however adopted by many governments, so integrating them into a national regulation helps to ensures that the requirements for imports and exports are the same the world over. And are therefore facilitating the movement of goods, services and the technologies from country to country.
However, ISO standard also helps to remove the barriers to world trade by providing the technical basis on which the political trade agreements can be put into practice, irrespective of the fact that they are at the regional or at an international level.