- An effective energy management system based on ISO 50001:2011 provides an organization’s top management which allows them to:
- “ISO 50001:2011 – Energy Management System
- ISO 50001:2011 provides a framework of requirements for organizations to:
- The process which for getting the certification is as follows :
- Gap analysis-
- Formal appraisal-
- Certification and beyond
Effective energy management systems thus help an organization in order to provide an established process to improve the performance of energy. The implementation of such kind of management systems must reduce the energy costs, the Greenhouse Gas emissions, and also other degrading environmental impacts. ISO 50001 helps to establish an international framework for the supply, use, and and the consumption of energy in the industrial, commercial and the institutional organizations. Implementing an ISO 50001 compliant sustainable energy management system helps to demonstrate the fact that an organization has completed a baseline of an energy use and it is committed to continuously improve its energy consumption.
ISO 50001:2011 (Energy Management Systems), which had replaced I.S. EN 16001:2009, was thus published in June 2011. This standard is thus compatible with other management system standards particularly the ones which are widely used ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Standards and the ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management Systems standards. It thus has international recognition and it is now considered as the benchmark standard worldwide for the Management of Energy.
An effective energy management system based on ISO 50001:2011 provides an organization’s top management which allows them to:
- Minimize the energy consumption and wastage.
- More effectively to meet legislative and the regulatory requirements and in order to be viewed more favorably by the regulators.
- Provide an opportunity to plan systematically, control and also monitor the operational activities and the processes that may impact on the usage of the energy.
- Incorporate the energy efficiency in the planning of all the new investments.
“ISO 50001:2011 – Energy Management System
ISO 50001 is based on the management system model of continual improvement also used for other well-known standards such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This makes it easier for organizations to integrate energy management into their overall efforts to improve quality and environmental management.
ISO 50001:2011 provides a framework of requirements for organizations to:
- Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy
- Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
- Measure the results
- Review how well the policy works, and
- Continually improve energy management”. -www.iso.org
According to ISO 50001, the requirements for an energy management system are to be taken into consideration. It is thus the main purpose in order to improve its energy performance.
The process which for getting the certification is as follows :
It helps to focus on the areas that need more attention before the formal judgment and to save time and money.
To review all the organization’s measurement by ISO 50001 procedures and controls.
Certification and beyond
If one has satisfied all the requirements of ISO 50001, then one is capable to get the certification which valid only for a period of three years.
The purpose of this International management standard system is to modify the organizations, ascertaining the systems and the necessary processes. This not only boosts the energy performance along with their energy potency, but also its use, and the consumption. It is meant to steer to the reductions in gas emissions, energy value, and all the impacts related to the environment, by using the energy systematically. It is also applicable to all the sorts and sizes of the organizations regardless of the geographical, cultural or social conditions.
Related Topic: What is ISO 19011 Certification For Auditing Management