- What is ISO certification?
- ISO 9001: What is it exactly?
- ISO 9001 Range of Standards to specific sectors and industries
- Benefits of ISO 9001
- The Procedure of ISO 9001 Certification
- 2. DOCUMENTATION
- 3. IMPLEMENTATION
- 4. INTERNAL AUDIT
- 5. CERTIFICATION
- What is the cost of ISO 9001 Certification?
- How long does ISO 9001:2015 Certification last?
What is ISO certification?
The ISO Management standards refer to the series of a framework that helps you to run a successful business effectively. ISO Certification is a kind of proof from a third party such as ourselves that you comply with an ISO management standard. Through this certification, any business can get credibility. This article focus on the ISO 9001 certification.
ISO 9001: What is it exactly?
ISO 9001 standard is one of the ISO family of certification which specifies the Quality Management System (QMS). Its first edition was published in 1987 and now the latest version was made in the year 2015. Any organization can use it whether it is a small or large regardless of its field of activity. In over 170 countries, there are over 1 million companies and organizations that are certified to this ISO.
Mostly it is based on quality management principles including a strong customer focus, motivation, and implication of top management, process approach, and continual improvement. By using ISO 9001:2015, a customer can get consistent, good quality products and services which in turn brings many business benefits.
ISO 9001 Range of Standards to specific sectors and industries
Following are the sector-specific applications of ISO 9001 for Quality Management systems:
- ISO 13485 – Medical devices
- ISO 17582 – Electoral organizations at all levels of government
- ISO 18091 – Local government
- ISO/TS 22163 – Business management system requirements for rail organizations
- ISO/TS 29001 – Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries
- ISO/IEC 90003 – Software engineering
Benefits of ISO 9001
ISO 9001 certification can provide you with the maximum benefits only if it approaches ISO 9001 implementation in a practical way. Therefore, it will ensure that the quality management system that is being adopted, work to improve the business and are not just a set of procedures that your employees will find hard to manage.
This ISO certification is not confined to large organizations but it is useful for small businesses. It saves time and cost, improves efficiency and ultimately customer relationships. Following are the benefits for the organization as well as for your customer also:
Benefits to the organization:
- With an efficient management process, it provides senior management.
- It sets out areas of responsibility across the organization.
- Compulsory in case you want to tender for some public sector works.
- Always communicate with a positive message to staff and customers.
- Encourages more efficiently and is a time-saving process
- Highlights deficiencies
- It reduces your costs
- It provides continuous assessment and improvement
- More opportunities for marketing
Benefits to the Customers:
- Improved quality as well as services
- On time delivery
- Right-first-time attitude
- Less returned products and fewer complaints
- Independent audit demonstrates a commitment to quality.
The Procedure of ISO 9001 Certification
ISO 9001 certification includes mainly 5 steps only which are discussed below:
The first and foremost step is to prepare the implementation of ISO 9001 at your small or medium size company. It is not that difficult step but equally important to be conducted.
- As ISO 9001 focuses on the large variety of business activities not specifically on quality control. So, before going to implement this ISO, it is important to understand the requirements of it as well as the implementation steps. For this purpose, you can go through our website: ISOcertificationonline and read the description of each ISO standards. You can also ask our experts regarding any information.
- Then appoint the “ISO 9001 Management Representative”. He is a quality manager or other member of top management of your company but it should be somebody in the office who has sufficient authority to change operational processes. This person will be responsible for implementing ISO 9001 processes.
- The new version i.e ISO 9001:2015 focuses on Training and awareness programs. Proper knowledge of anything makes the tasks easier, faster and smoother. The obvious candidate for ISO 9001 training is the Management Representative who at this point, may still be wondering how to proceed in order to get ISO certification.
- Getting full support from the top level management, middle-level managers and employees are relevant for the success of your ISO 9001 quality management system. First of all, ensure that whether the company employees are in support of the ISO 9001 effort or not. If not, then explain to them the benefits of ISO 9001 certification both for the organization as well as from the point of view of customer also. Secondly, inform all the managers and employees about the plan for ISO 9001 and how to get ISO 9001 certification, the benefits to them and their work, as well as the expectations regarding their cooperation. Gaining the manager and employee buy-in is best done in form of department meetings.
- Project planning is very crucial before jumping into the actual ISO 9001 implementation project. A good project guide will simplify your project plan that clearly describes all implementation steps.
There are certain documents which are required at the time of ISO 9001 certification and these are following:
- Quality policy
- Procedures(documented procedure)
- The scope of the quality management system
- Process map (flowchart)
- Quality objectives
- Work instructions
- specific to your company
- suitable for your company
Now, it is the time to implement your ISO 9001 quality management system throughout your company. Your customized ISO 9001 Quality management Manual often affect employees and you have to help them adjust their ways of working. One time step at a time in your ISO 9001 implementation process can prove very beneficial to you. Our recommendation is you should start with the section on Document control. All the requirements should be in a meeting or memo or have the appropriate department managers explain to their staff. The document control requirements are not complicated and their benefits are obvious as with our other ISO procedures to make the implementation an easy and rewarding experience.
The Training and work instructions must go hand in hand. Virtually, all employees have to change the way they work at least to some extent as you implement your quality management system. Quality management manual points out where work instructions are required. If your new ISO 9001 includes requirements that call for a change in work processes.
4. INTERNAL AUDIT
Internal audits of ISO 9001 are inspections in which your company evaluates itself to see if all the requirements are being followed. These internal audits are not only conducted when implementing this ISO Processes but also periodically after achieving ISO 9001 certification. Moreover, the job of the internal auditor is to verify that your company meets the requirements of ISO as they are described in the procedures of your ISO Quality management manual.
- The Auditor: If the management representative audits the entire company except for his/her own work, and another employee audits the work of the management representative. To learn auditing skills and performing internal audits is not difficult with our training and with our audit checklist.
- Audits as a training tool: The most important things is that you do not have to conduct your internal audit in one single event despite you can divide an internal audit into many partial audits. Eg: You can only audit a single department or a single requirement at a time. As soon as your entire company has been audited against all ISO quality management system requirements as well as the internal auditor has not uncovered any significant problems then your company will be ready for the ISO 9001: 2015 certification audit.
In order to get done the procedure of final certification, it will be necessary to have an independent, third-party ISO auditor visit your company and perform a site audit. Following are the steps of the final certification of ISO quality management system:
- Selection of ISO 9001 registrar: There are several companies who offer certification services but please be careful, some are not officially accredited by an ISO 9000 certification body. Get start your search on the internet and compare the different registrars or ask us for a referral. It also includes tools to help you select a registrar that’s ideal for your company’s individual circumstances.
- The ISO 9001 certification Audit: There are many questions and requirements that most of the auditors focus on during the ISO 9001:2015 site audit. To prepare the best, compiled a list of audit preparation tips, which are included with the ISO 9001 Certification package. The other method of preparing staff for the site audit is by showing a short awareness video like “How to tackle external auditors”.
- Reaping the marketing benefits: As soon as passed from the certification of ISO 9001 Audit, you must leverage your new ISO 9001 registration in marketing. You can do anything like preparing a press release, send notification cards to the customers, print your certification mark on business cards and letterhead, add your ISO registration mark to your advertisement, display a banner outside the office/building and the last but not the least, recognize your employees for the hard work they put into this effort.
- Maintaining certification: Of course, it is not a one-time event. The ISO registrar will perform a surveillance site once or twice a year in order to verify continued ISO compliance and even improvement of your ISO Quality management system. Ensure that whether your ISO process is remain implemented or not. Besides, it has been continued your internal audits and all are convinced you will see your company’s performance improvements at the bottom line.
What is the cost of ISO 9001 Certification?
The cost of this Certification is Rs. 6039 and it will take around 3 days to 15 days to get certified.
How long does ISO 9001:2015 Certification last?
This Certification is valid up to 3 years and in this 3 years period, the company will be subjected to mandatory audits to ensure compliance with the regulations.
Hurry up! Apply ISO for certification to make your products and services outstand in the cut throat-competition. Send your query on Email: [email protected] and give us a call at 8750008844. Our experts are available on our website: ISO certification online to provide you the best advice ever.